You will work as part of the Product Development Team, with specific responsibility for mechanical and functional design. The role covers the entire lifecycle of the product, from initial concept through design, validation, release into production and maintenance.
The successful candidate will be completing design work using 3D CAD and FEA techniques. Working with a focus on optimising designs for performance and ease of manufacture. The role will require practical experience of designing complex assemblies and mentoring of junior staff.
Day to day tasks will also involve adapting existing designs or creating new concepts to achieve the optimised solutions to meet challenging customer applications, deliver reliable state of the art electromechanical solutions.
Contribution of mechanical design expertise and innovation to the new product development processes from architecture and concept definition through to detailed modelling, design and product qualification.
An accurate understanding of product requirements and the system architecture is essential.
Generation of detailed specifications and design of subsystems and components with a focus on:
- Functionality and performance in the specified applications.
- Robustness, reliability and durability.
- Manufacturability, testability and yielded unit cost.
- Ease of integration in end-use systems.
- Optimal choice of materials and manufacturing methods.
- Participation in cross functional design reviews.
- Timely release of complete design information for manufacture by project phase.
- Delivery of high quality design documentation and reports.
- Hands-on involvement in design verification and validation.
- Manufacturing support.
- Meeting of challenging project deadlines while assuring high quality solutions.
- Helping to build the core knowledge, best practices and design standards for the team, department and company.
- Visiting customers to gather information, support sales staff with promote proposed solutions and provide answers to technical questions.
The Senior Mechanical Design Engineer will have high skill level in fundamentals of mechanical engineering including:
- Mathematics and statistics.
- Tolerance, stress and fatigue analysis.
- Design and tooling of precession mechanical components for manufacture using techniques EDM, CNC machining and sheet metal processes.
- State of the art materials and associated manufacturing methods.
- Mechanical modelling, optimisation and design tools (CAE).
- Design, system and process FMEA.
The Senior Mechanical Engineer will be:
- Able to contribute and thrive in an exciting, dynamic, and fast moving environment.
- A team player with excellent interpersonal and cross-functional working skills.
- Innovative along with a methodical and systematic approach to work.
- Detailed and quality conscious with a sharp focus on schedule and delivery.
- An excellent verbal and written communicator.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or above in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Substantial experience gained working with complex precision or electro-mechanical products. With
- Proven understanding of fundamental manufacturing principles.
- 3D CAD modelling essential - Solidworks would be an advantage.
- Understanding of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing including tolerance stack-up analysis.
- Solid understanding of capability studies for designs, jigs and fixtures.
- An advanced understanding of material properties and an understanding of fatigue life predictions.
- Proven experience of using finite element methods for stress and natural resonance.
- Proven experience of precision part design.
- Design for excellence.
- Understanding of how to tolerance complex parts to control critical dimensions.
- Experience with designing for use in vacuum (UHV) and radiation.
- Experience of flexure design.
- Experience integrating piezo actuators into mechanical systems.
- Experience of using PDM systems for engineering change control – DDM would be an advantage.
- Experience of optics, AFM and laser interferometry.
- Experience of working with customers (engineers and scientists) so determine the most appropriate electromechanical solutions for the customer and the business.
- Experience creating project requirement to meet customers’ needs and or desires.